Monday, April 21, 2014

Easter Projects

When I saw this fabric on Equilter, I knew I had to make some Easter gifts using it.


I made two tote bags for my great nieces.
 
 
Polka dot fabric was used for the lining. 
 

The bags were big enough to hold some books I found for the girls.
 
 
This is Skylar with her bag.
 
This is Audrey with her bag.

The leftover fabric was used to decorate some kitchen towels. 
 
 
The bunny fabric was fussy cut and appliqued to purchased towels and grosgrain ribbon, eyelet lace and thirty's fabric decorates the bottom of the towels.
 
 
 
 

Easter Desserts

We were lucky enough to be able to celebrate Easter with both of our families.  I made desserts to take to both gatherings.  The first was sugar packed and the second was sugar free.

The Peeps cake was made using a chocolate cake mix and adding Dream Whip and package of dry chocolate pudding mix.  The cake was frosted with
cream cheese frosting made with Cool Whip.


 
The trifle had layers of sugar free angel food cake, strawberries and blueberries and
 a mixture of sugar free cream cheese pudding, a can of crushed pineapple
 and  Free Cool Whip. 
 

 

Friday, March 21, 2014

Queen Red Lime Zinnia Wall Hanging

I'm a member of an art quilt group in Saginaw.  Last fall we each received this piece of fabric to use in making an art quilt.

 
This is my finished project.

 
My first step was deciding I wanted to use the fabric to make a big flower.  In the Burpee seed catalog I found a flower that was both pink and green, so I decided to make a Queen Red Lime Zinnia.  I was going to put a seed packet on the quilt.  I ordered the zinnia seeds from Burpee so I could copy it onto fabric...well when I got my order, the seeds were in a plain wrapper, no photo on the front.  I called Burpee and was told the seeds were not sold in stores so I wouldn't be able to get a packet with a photo.   Luckily I had an old seed package in my gardening supplies.  I scanned it and changed the wording and added the photo from the Burpee  catalog.  So my seed packet is one of a kind.
 
 
The leaves on the quilt have embroidered veins and are three dimensional.

 
The center of the zinnia had hand sewn beads and a border of ric rac.
 
 
For Christmas my daughter, Angela, gave me a set of  Dye-na Flow ink/paints.  I used the green ink to make the center row of petals greener.  In the middle row of petals, I used the inks to tone down the orange stripe in the fabric.  The fabric used in the outside row was colored with the magenta ink.  The inks were also used to add color to the ric rac  in the center of the flower.

 

Sunday, March 16, 2014

St. Patrick's Day Pistachio Cookies

Jenny got me the King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion for Christmas.
 

I made the St. Patrick's Day Pistachio Cookies to celebrate St. Paddy's Day.
 
 
They turned out well and I will make them again.
 
 
 

Monday, March 3, 2014

Hugs & Kisses Quilt 2

My aunt, who is also my godmother has been having health problems and is now recuperating in a nursing home.  I decided to make her a quilt to help her warm and make her room more homey.   I had some scraps from a quilt I made Ang and Austin, http://themomoo.blogspot.com/2013_09_01_archive.html  So I used the same pattern to make a little smaller version of their quilt.
 
 
This is the front of the throw.
 


The back is a batik print in brown, green, blue and orange.
 

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Shamrock Wall Hanging

Winter seems to be dragging on forever and Easter is such a long way away.  I decided to brighten up the dining room wall with a happy shamrock wall hanging.

 
The ladybug has googly eyes and tiny buttons spots.


The background is pieced as is the binding.  Instead of quilting after appliqueing, I quilted as I sewed on the pieces.
 


Being snowbound has made me a busy Internet shopper.  I found this cute Charming Tails pin and made it into a magnet for the frig.
 

Also added a St. Patrick's mouse to my Charming Tails collection.


Lastly, found two tiny mice for the top of the bulletin board by the phone.
 

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Tote Bags for Foster Children

The Millington Quilt Club has decided to make tote bags for foster children. The kids
 often carry their belonging from home to home in paper bags or cardboard boxes. 
 
Following Jenny's advice, instead of buying more fabric, I went through my stash and found some fabric and trims to make this tote.


 
The tote is large, about 13 inches high and 22 inches wide.  One side has a zipper pocket and the other a plain pocket.
 



The top has zippered flaps.
 
 

 
There are pockets all around the inside.  One large side pocket has a zipper.
 
 

Thanks to Julie and Carole, for putting together a pattern that was easy to work with.