Saturday, January 8, 2011

Babushka Doll Hot Pads

After finding some nesting Santa dolls at a flea market in South Carolina this fall, I came up with the idea of hot pads with Russian nesting dolls on them. I searched the Internet for ideas and pictures to make my pattern. I found the nesting dolls can also be called Matryoshka or Babushka dolls, since I'm Polish I'm going to call mine Babushka dolls.



I used fabric from my stash to frame the dolls, adding some ric rac to dress them up. Because the doll's cheeks and hair were tiny pieces to applique, I drew them on the faces with fabric crayons. I embroidered the eyes and smile.



The backs are Japanese fabric I found on Etsy.

2 comments:

jenny said...

Mine came in the mail today and they look great. I love them! Thank you!

Nanette Merrill said...

I love it! So so so incredibly cute. I like to call mine babushkas too because that is what my (slovak) father called them. you've done such a great job too.