Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Apple and Pineapple

We had Bob and Chris and the boys over for supper on Monday. Nate and Nich will be leaving for college this week so it was nice to see them before they leave. Having company was a good excuse to grill a big batch of ribs and to make a big dessert. I made pineapple upside down cake.




My pineapple upside down cake is a little different. I use my mom's secret ingredient....sauce on top. Years ago when I discovered not everyone had sauce on the cake, I asked my mom about the sauce. She said she just wanted to use up the extra pineapple juice, well I think it adds a special touch to the dessert.




Changing topics....since I haven't been sewing lately I decided to post an older project. This is the first wall hanging I made.





I made it about 8 years ago. Ang was still around during the summer and she drew and colored a full size apple pattern for me. I then hunted up a lot of reds and reds with white and pieced the apple to match her drawing.




I also pieced the border. It looks like it may have been a printed checkerboard but it is pieced. I should probably quilt it a little more. All I did was stitch around the apple and border. I don't really feel comfortable with quilting so I think the apple will stay just as it is.






2 comments:

Linda said...

The cake looks delicious! I will have to get the recipe. And of course I love the apple wall hanging.

Anonymous said...

Mary.. Would you like to slip me your secret sauce for that pineapple cake?