Sunday, January 18, 2009

Paper Piecing

I tried paper piecing for the first time. I'm not sure I'm pleased with the process, I think I wasted too much fabric. I found different methods for paper piecing, so next time I will try another way. I made a couple of trivets for Valentine's day. There are 3 hearts on the trivet. They seem to be modern art to me, I liked the look but Tom wouldn't see the hearts in the finished product.
I bought the backing online at Equilter.com. I wanted something with hearts and really like batik fabric. The background is plum colored but it doesn't show up in the picture.

Last Wednesday was our quilt group meeting. After the business part of the meeting we have show and tell. I showed off the rag quilt I made for Linda and a picture of the MSU Santa. The women seemed to like both. Linda showed off her table runner, nice job, Linda :) Some of the women had beautiful queen size quilts to impress us with. Another member told us about a quilt artist she met over the holidays. The artist was published and some of her work was in the new Quilting Arts magazine. The artist has a website, if you like quilted art you might enjoy looking at the site http://www.susanvassallo.com/index.html I think her work is really impressive, I wish I could draw better because that would be my style for quilting.

1 comment:

mrsquarles said...

I think the valentine trivet you made is pretty. I love the shape of the hearts and the choice of fabric you chose is really bright and colorful. Valentine's day is one of my favorite holidays. Nice job.